A while ago I wrote two Student Budget Meals posts for lasagne and yoghurt chicken (you can read those here and here) – but I haven’t written about any desserts yet. Now is time to change that! Recently I’ve been addicted to Eton Mess: it only requires three (or four) simple ingredients, and takes less than five minutes to make. Here’s how I make it!
What you need:
- Double cream
- Strawberries or raspberries
- Broken pieces of meringue
- Optional: strawberry or raspberry jam
- A jug, a whisk and a serving bowl
What you do:
- Pour the desired amount of double cream into a jug and whisk until whipped. This is easier with an electric whisk, but if you don’t have one, you just need some patience and determination!
- Once the cream is whipped, pour in the desired amount of meringue pieces. Mix them into the cream.
- Optional: put some jam into the mixture. If you’re like me and don’t particularly like the taste of cream on its own, the jam mixed in makes it taste a bit nicer and more interesting. It also turns the cream more pink!
- If using strawberries, slice them into small pieces and chuck them in. If using raspberries, just do the second part! Gently stir them into the mixture.
- Pour the whole thing into a serving bowl.
That’s it, you’re done! It’s such a simple thing to make but that’s the great thing about it. Once you start you’ll be making it all the time (I do).
Let me know if you make it, or if you’ve already made it in the past and want to share some tips!